Making the most of a bountiful Harvest

Got maters????

We strive to use every part of our fruits and veggies. Don't get me wrong, I have put quite a few scraps in the compost, and I also shared the tomato scraps with my chickens as a treat, but if I can use it I will. 

We use so many tomato based products in our home. I always grow at least 10 tomato plants. I know that sounds like a lot, but really it's just enough. Just don't ask me if it was too many in the heat of canning season 😜

I usually have the following tomato based products on hand in my pantry:

- tomato soup
- pasta sauce
- pizza sauce
- BBQ sauce
- ketchup
- diced tomatoes
- tomato juice
- salsa
- pickled green tomatoes
- tomato paste

Tomato paste, it takes sooooooooo long to prepare, but what if I told you I could make your life easier? I know that would be terrible wouldn't it? 😉

Almost all of my tomato products start with coring, and quartering my tomatoes. Then they are tossed into a large pot and boiled until they are all soft enough to run through a food mill. I know most people will tell you that they use the blanch method to peel tomatoes, but I cannot stand all of the work that involves. To each their own though, and if that is how you prefer to do things, you go right ahead. 

We give you thanks almighty God, for these and all your gifts

Once the tomatoes have been run through the food mill, I take all of the skins and seeds left in the mill and spread them out into a "pizza" on my dehydrator trays. I let them dehydrate over night, sometimes up to 48 hours just depending on how much was in the dehydrator and how humid the weather is. 
 
Finally once the skins and seeds are dry enough to crumble between your fingers, I stick them into the blender. Thus powder can be rehydrated in a 1-1 ratio with water to make instant tomato paste. The powder can also be used in recipes to add flavor. I have looked in stores to see if you can purchase tomato powder, you can and the price will make your jaw drop! 

Long story short, if you want to save time and money, you should try using the ENTIRE tomato fruit. 

What a blessing.


Just look at that beautiful color

Comments

Popular Posts